Fueling the Arts
The Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center’s new Fueling the Arts program is at the core of our mission to make the performing arts accessible to the broadest possible audience, and to be a proactive and vibrant partner in the area of arts education in Stowe and the surrounding Vermont communities. It aims to reach youth and life long learners by providing free and low-cost performance events and teaching experiences that are broad-based and culturally diverse. We are committed to providing opportunities for artistic growth and development for students, parents, and teachers and unique opportunities for local children to interact with renowned artists.
Funding for school-based arts education has faced many economic challenges in recent years, causing a barrier to educators to expose children to important artistic presentations. For some children, the school setting is the only opportunity they will ever have to see a professional-level dance company, theatre performance or musical concert. The Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center’s Fueling the Arts program has been established to help schools lift that barrier by providing full or partial financial support for children to participate in such programs. The purpose of the Fueling the Arts program is threefold:
- - to fuel young minds in their creativity by exposing area students to a diverse array of performing arts genres
- - to provide funding to bring individual artists into the schools or teaching studios
- - to fuel buses to provide transportation to bring students to the Art Center for special performances (schools must apply for Bus Rebate – see attached information and form)
Some examples of programs Fueling the Arts may cover:
- - School day matinee performances by touring performers at the Arts Center
- - Transportation to performances at the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center
- - Artist-in-school residencies and assemblies
- - Master classes facilitated by master teachers of national and international performing troupes
- - Workshops for teachers to integrate the performing arts in the classroom
Participation in a Fueling the Arts sponsored program may occur in one of two ways. The staff of the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center may reach out to area schools, community groups, and arts teachers to invite their students to a particular event at the Arts Center, or unique opportunity to be presented in their school or studio. Area teachers or school officials may also request a rebate for bus transportation. A Bus Rebate application form can be downloaded from the SPPAC website.
Fueling the Arts is funded through the SPPAC’s membership and corporate giving campaign. Five percent of each membership subscription goes directly to the Fueling the Arts program. Please consider becoming a member of the Spruce Peak Performing Arts Center today!